Pest Prevention & Protection Measures
Take a look at these guidelines for preventing household pests, pest infestations as well as the potentially damaging health and property threats they cause. Learn how to do pest prevention from getting into your home, how to protect yourself from outdoor insects like mosquitoes and bees and ways to protect your family and property from disease and property damage.
- Seal off cracks and holes on the exterior of the home; including access points for utilities and pipes.
- Maintain tree branches and bushes adequately trimmed and away from the house.
Check for Cracks and Gaps
Doors and windows aren’t the only places that can have tiny openings.
- Keep cellars, attics, and crawl spaces adequately ventilated and free of moisture.
Properly Dispose of Trash and Litter
Most people know that household garbage can attract pests, such as ants, roaches, and rodents.
- Stock garbage in sealed storage units and dispose of it regularly.
Sink and floor drain often accumulate gunk and debris.
- Fix fascia and soffits and rotted roofing materials; as many insects are attracted to deteriorating wood.
Just like with trash, it is preferable to store recyclables in a bin that has a tight-fitting lid.
- Replace weather-stripping and fix loose mortar around basement foundation and home windows.
Store Food in Sealed Containers
Some pests, such as rodents, have an excellent sense of smell
- Place firewood no less than 20 feet away from the house and five inches off the floor.
- In any event, contact a certified pest professional to get more assistance and treatment if needed.
- Regularly Clean Your Home – The cleaner your home is, the less attraction it will have for pests.
Use the Right Light Bulbs
To reduce flying insects around doors and windows, replace standard mercury vapour lights with high-pressure sodium vapour or halogen lights.
Pest Prevention Measures
- The simplest way to prevent insect damage in your garden is to discourage them from coming in the first place. A healthy garden is the best defence.
- Firstly, pull out any weak plants as these may already be infected. If not, they will attract predators. Pull the plant and dispose of it away from the garden.
- Build healthy, organic soil. Natural composting methods, mulching and top-dressing your soil with compost or natural fertiliser is the best way to develop robust, vigorous plants.
- Seaweed mulch or spray. Overall, seaweed contains trace elements such as iron, zinc, barium, calcium, sulphur and magnesium, which promote healthy development in plants. Seaweed fertiliser in either a mulch or spray form will enhance growth and give plants the strength to withstand disease. Seaweed mulch also repels slugs. wind
- Minimise insect habitat—the clear garden area of debris and weeds which are breeding places for insects. Likewise, use clean mulch.
- Keep foliage dry. Water early so leaf will be dry for most of the day. Wet foliage encourages insect and fungal damage to your plants. See Pest Control Auckland page on drip-irrigation for methods of delivering water to the root systems without wetting the foliage.
- Disinfect. If you’ve been working with infested plants, clean your tools before moving on to other garden areas and thus reducing the speed of invading insects.
Pest Control Services
- Ant Eradication
- Carpet Beetle Control
- Cockroach controllers
- Wasp bee eradication and removal
- Bed Bug Control
- Disinfecting Clean
- Kill Flea Control
- Dust Mites Controllers
- Pest Control
- Allergy Relief Sanitising
- Mould Cleaners Disinfecting
- Carpet Beetle Control
- Pet Odour Removal
- Dust Mite Disinfecting
Experienced, Researched and written by Graeme Stephens. An IICRC Master Restoration Technician 2001, with over 32 years of disinfecting cleaning and pest control Auckland services experience.
Last Updated: 30th July 2020
Auckland Pest Control Reviews
Google Reviews Pest Control South Auckland
Facebook Reviews Pest Control Auckland
Google Reviews Fly Controllers Auckland
Google Insect Control West Auckland Reviews
Facebook Flea Control Auckland Reviews
Google Map Reviews Pest Control Auckland